Discovering extension points
In this introduction guide, you will learn how to:
- Reveal all the extension points in a page.
- Discover all the possible types of extensions you can render in an extension point.
- Check all the attributes and values you can use to influence how the product renders your extensions.
Revealing extension points on the page
Client-side Extensions (CSE) comes with some developer tools baked in to help you reveal all extensions points on the page.
To activate it, you need to go to a page that you know is using CSE and set the query parameter
?clientside-extensions in the URL.
- Navigate to the PR you created for testing CSE (e.g: http://localhost:7990/bitbucket/projects/PROJECT_1/repos/rep_1/pull-requests/1/)
- Add this query parameter to the URL:
You should see a glowing blue circle icon in the places where extension points are available.
Exploring extension points information
After revealing the available extension points in a page, you can click on any of the glowing icons to discover all the
relevant information of a particular extension point:
- Click the glowing icon in the overview actions section of the PR page.
You should be able to see:
- The name of the extension point.
- The type of extensions you can create for that extension point.
- The attributes that are supported, and how they affect the way the product will render your extension.
- The shape of the context object your extension will receive from the product.
Recap and next steps
Now you know:
- How to reveal extension points in a page.
- How to discover all extension types, supported attributes, and context provided for your extension point.
Next, you’re going to learn how to interact with products using the extensions API