Pricing, payment & billing
What payment models does the Marketplace offer?
All add-ons integrate with an Atlassian product, and adhere to one of three payment models:
- Paid via Atlassian: Customers pay a fee to use your add-on. Customers evaluate and purchase these add-ons directly from Atlassian. Paid via Atlassian add-ons use the Atlassian Licensing API. Atlassian provides automated sales and licensing reports to you as a paid via Atlassian add-on vendor.
- Paid via Vendor: Customers pay a fee to use your add-on. Customers purchase add-ons from you or your external website. You supply your own licensing and billing system.
- Free: Customers pay nothing to use your add-on. Free add-ons generally use open-source licensing.
How do I set or change prices for my add-on?
You determine initial pricing for your add-on when you submit it for approval on the Marketplace. When you'd like to change prices for your add-on, here's how:
- Log in with your vendor credentials.
- Click Manage vendor account from the profile menu (upper right).
- Click your add-on's name from the list.
- Click on the Pricing tab, then choose Cloud or Server.
If your add-on is only compatible with one delivery model (Server or Cloud), you'll only see one option displayed.
- Make your changes accordingly.
- Click Save pricing.
Your change is active and displayed on the Marketplace site in 24 hours. After this, new customers pay your updated prices right away. Here are some important things to know when you change prices:
- You can change prices every 30 days.
- We highly recommend you communicate price changes with customers.
- Existing customers get a 60-day price override so they can pay the lower price when they renew or purchase. They receive the renewal price override as long as they're on the same product edition and the quote is created before the renewal override date (60 days from the price change).
- Existing evaluators in Cloud can also pay the lower price if purchased before the evaluation expires.
- Existing evaluators in Server will receive the new price unless they have a a pre-existing quote.
- Cloud-hosted add-ons require a minimum price of $5 USD per pricing tier.
- Server add-ons require a minimum price of $10 USD per pricing tier.
- Renewal, upgrade, and academic license types are automatically calculated and set based on Marketplace rules. Academic licenses are 50% off of the commercial license price. Maintenance renewals are always 50% of the original license price.
- Upgrades are calculated based on Atlassian's formula, as seen here for JIRA.
How does revenue sharing work for paid via Atlassian add-ons?
We keep it simple. 75% of the revenue goes to you, the publisher, and 25% goes to us at Atlassian.
In more complicated scenarios, for example if you let Atlassian Experts resell your add-on at a 20% discount, we break up the revenue after the discount. For example, consider an add-on that is priced at $100.00:
- In a standard (non-Expert) sale, the customer pays $100, of which you keep $75 and Atlassian keeps $25.
- In an Expert sale, the customer pays $80, of which you keep $60 and Atlassian keeps $20.
When do I get paid for my paid via Atlassian add-on sales?
We owe you remittance for your sales after you reach $500 USD in profit. We pay you within 30 days after the end of the month in which you accrue $500+ USD in profit.
This means that we pay you within a minimum of 30 days from the time of sale, and no more than 60 days after. We designed this time frame around customer support needs, refunds, and chargebacks (payment disputes). We offer the same 30-day refund period for your add-ons as we do for other Atlassian products. After 30 days, we don't grant refund requests to customers.
Atlassian may remit funds early at our discretion.
How do Atlassian Expert resellers work?
Employing Atlassian's worldwide network of reselling experts gives you a sales multiplier. When you opt into this program, Atlassian Experts can purchase your add-on for their clients at a 20% discount from the list price.
You can opt in or out of the program on a per-listing basis, and when you edit pricing details for your add-on. You can find the Atlassian Experts Community here: http://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts
What about other resellers?
Paid via Atlassian add-ons are restricted from offering discounts to organizations that aren't part of the Atlassian Experts program. If you'd like to sell your add-on at discount to individual customers, you can create a promotion.
Can I offer my add-on at a discount or promotion?
Absolutely. Check out our documentation on promotions for paid via Atlassian add-ons.
What does an invoice look like?
Here's an example invoice:
Are Marketplace add-ons available to purchase worldwide?
We sell to customers everywhere, except for trade-embargoed countries subject to United States export restrictions. We help vendors collect any taxes applicable for the customer's locale.
Can customers pay for add-ons with purchase orders (POs)?
Unfortunately customers cannot pay for add-ons with POs. Like Atlassian products, buying add-ons through a purchase order (PO) is not supported. Customers can reference purchase orders with their invoice. Find out more.
What about quotes, checks, and bank transfers?
The Marketplace handles quotes, checks and bank transfers for paid via Atlassian add-ons the same way as Atlassian products.
What if customers want refunds?
Customers go through Atlassian for paid via Atlassian add-on refunds. Atlassian offers refunds for thirty (30) days after purchase. Refunds aren't allowed after that thirty days has elapsed. Customers contact Atlassian to request a refund, since refunds can't be issued directly by vendors. Find out more here.
How do license upgrades work?
Paid via Atlassian add-on licenses need to match the Atlassian host product license exactly. For example, if a user has a Confluence license for 500 users, they need to purchase the same license for add-ons. If customers upgrade their product license but not their add-on license, then we alert the product administrator to upgrade the add-on license for your add-on. Learn more about license upgrades.
How do renewals work?
Paid via Atlassian add-on licenses, just like Atlassian products, come with one year of maintenance. Maintenance includes support and access to any version upgrades for a year from date of purchase. When maintenance expires, customers need to renew add-on licenses to receive support or maintenance for the next 12 month period.
Our renewal system automatically notifies customers when add-on licenses are about to expire. A customer can renew in advance of expiration to ensure uninterrupted access to support and software updates. Learn more about maintenance renewals.